Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Just one of those days

Alright, so usually I just post stuff about our fun life stuff, but today has been one of those days and I am hoping that if I just write it all out for the world to see I will be able to sleep better.

This morning when I woke up I was exhausted and a bit annoyed that Sydney had decided that 7:45am meant be awake for today. Once I was up I feeling great that I had so much time to do what I needed to get done today and since I've stopped taking my medication for nausea I have more energy and I had quite the list of things to do. So, I felt refreshed and ready for a fun, but quiet day.

After picking my neighbor up from her car dealership this morning, I got a call from Jason that he had been in a car accident. He was fine and so was everyone else, but he rear-ended someone on his way from work to a meeting at another office. I had a mix of emotions: "I sure hope he wasn't on the phone because then I will be mad", "I am glad he's alright", "I wonder how much this is going to cost", etc. After trying to convince Sydney that she needed to get back in the car and her taking about 5 minutes because she has to do everything herself, I was even more worked up. Jason's accident was about a mile from our house, so I made it over there and after all that fiasco, got him home. . . can I just say the law in Utah that says that every car accident requires one party to receive a ticket is just adding insult to injury in something like this!

Jason spent a while on the phone working with our agent and figuring out what needed to be done, but in the end we talked about how great it is that we have such excellent insurance and it wasn't going to cost us an arm and a leg like we were dreading. That, on a side note, is because we just spend a tremendous amount of money this past weekend buying roofing materials so Jason can re-roof our house in a couple of weeks. Anyway - Jason took the Honda to work and left the Durango here so the tow truck could come get it.

Sydney and I enjoyed a few minutes of quiet time and then I decided to take her on a long walk so she could get a little bit more tired for her nap. Bad idea. Half way through our long walk she decided that she didn't want to ride her scooter anymore and that I should carry her, the scooter, and her helmet several blocks home. For those of you who haven't seen Sydney in a while, she weighs over 30lbs and although I am not THAT pregnant yet my body aches and I was worn out from the day's events already. Knowing that I wouldn't be able to carry her and all of that stuff all of the way home - she followed me down the sidewalk screaming and hitting me for about half a block until she finally just laid down on the pavement. Still quite a good little walk from home I decided I had no option - I put her up on my shoulders and grabbed the rest of the stuff and started walking. One of my neighbors happened to be driving home at that moment and spotted us very awkwardly navigating our way and stopped and asked if we wanted a ride. HALLELUJAH!! I was so happy. I got Syd home and in bed where she was so past the point that she was crying because I changed her pillowcase... it's been one of those days.

This afternoon I spent some quiet time doing laundry and fixing some things on our computer - things would be alright. The insurance lady is nice, we have a great thing called accident forgiveness so our rates won't go up, our deductible was manageable, and Sydney was sleeping. It would all work out. Jason could take the Honda to work tomorrow and for the next week we would be a one car family...

UNTIL, on the way home from our friend's house this evening, the "check engine" light on the Honda lit up. This is the light that means, don't continue driving unless you're headed to the car shop. Fabulous, can I just say fabulous?!? We have 2 cars, both of which by 8am tomorrow will be in the shop. We are hoping that the Honda will just need a small repair, but let's be honest, every time you walk into a car repair shop, you might as well just give them $500. I was proud of myself, until the Honda went under I was dealing relatively well with today's events - - - now I am not so sure.

3 comments:

Liz said...

Oh, Brittany, I'm so sorry! I'm impressed with how well you handled such a hard day. Unfortunately the saying is true when it rains it pours. Hopefully your Honda's repairs will be more like a $50 repair instead of $500.

BTW, will we ever get to see the quilt you made? I'd like to see your handicrafts as I'm always looking for good ideas of things to make.

Rob and Marseille said...

wow...what a day. It seems like when ever one of our cars breaks, the other one does too. Not fun at all.

Sarah Evans said...

Sorry is all I can say. It's one of those things that has to happen so we can enjoy days that don't go like that right? I don't know...I could go with less bad days and still appreciate the good ones. Hope it all worked out. You should let us know the outcome:-)