So I don't usually do the posting, but since Brittany was home with Kate, I am the only witness to the following event:
Brittany has been staying home with Kate, so I've been on my own during church. Fortunately we have a few ward friends who help entertain Sydney and Jake (Cory and Amy, you know who you are). Sydney was sitting on another bench today (Fast Sunday), so I didn't notice her all of a sudden walking up the aisle to sit on the stand and bear her testimony. This is only monumental because she has never borne it before, despite my trying to convince her it would be fun for the past year.
I sat up my chair, so excited that my sweet Sydney was about to shout to the world her knowledge of the truth! The Church is true! she would say. I love my family! she would proclaim. It would be so powerful...
So she walks to the pulpit, waits patiently for the Bishop to set up that little booster stand, stands up (I sit a little taller on my bench...) and proudly proclaims...
"I'm Sydney, and I want to bear my testimony. Last year we went to Disneyland for my birthday. So this year for my brother Jake's birthday we are going to Disneyland again. When it was my birthday I got a special birthday pin. This time my brother will get one I'm sure. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen."
Are you kidding me? She had the congregation giggling with her sweet and sincere honesty, but that was not quite what I was expecting.
When trying to convince Sydney that bearing a testimony was fun, I had told her that I would go up with her. So when she was done, I had to grab Jake and go up for an encore. Jake was NOT a fan of this idea, and buried his head in my neck the whole time. But up we went. I told everyone how excited I was to hear Sydney's first testimony, only to have our family vacations revealed in public (this brought a fit of laughter as well; apparently we were the funny family today...). I also mentioned that FHE this week would be on what constitutes a testimony (more laughter, we were on a roll). I did eventually get around to a real testimony, and talked about how special little children are. The Savior always seemed to have a special love for the little ones, and I am so grateful for the children we have been trusted with. I actually started to tear up, so we quickly sat down (I blame the lack of sleep - thanks Kate).
Turns out vacating the pulpit does not eliminate you from tearing up. A few other speakers got up and talked about Sydney and her sweet spirit. One commended us on having fun family traditions that children can cherish, and another lady (her former primary teacher) talked about how her heart would leap with joy when she would see Sydney come to Primary. At this point I am really struggling; thankfully the meeting ended.
Note: After publicly crying in sacrament meeting, it's very difficult to meet with the members of your Elders Quorum basketball team to get signed up for the stake tournament. They tried to take away my Man Card. I argued that the events of the day more qualified me for a real Man Card than ever before.
Mike and Libby Brown
7 years ago
2 comments:
you have such cute kids, and your kids have great parents!! :)
Post a Comment